Thursday 19 April 2012

Kuala Lumpur and Singapore

 About 2 weeks ago now I left Thailand on the night bus over to Kuala Lumpur. Stayed in a lovely hostel while I was there with very swish beds with your individual light, plugs, shelves and curtain making your own little private bedroom! The 1st day I was there I did some sight seeing around the Chinatown area and the old colonial buildings. In Chinatown you can buy just about any fake designer goods including tiffany jewellery, Cath Kidson everything and fake dvds in their hundreds! The next day I did a tour organised by the hostel which took us to hindu and muslim temples (for the latter you had to put on a full muslim outfit covering everything including a burka on my head…I was boiling!) and the kings residence. We also went to the Batu caves where you walk up over 200 very steep steps to reach the thousand year old caves hidden in the mountain with its Hindu temples inside, v. cool! That evening I had some drinks on the roof top terrace of the hostel that looks over the whole of the city. The next day I walked over to the Petronas towers to have a look around and take some pics. Then walked over to the Orchid Gardens for a wander before getting very lost on the way back to the hostel!

The next day I flew to Singapore nice and early in the morning. Absolutely loved Singapore though and it was such a nice change from the rest of Asia, everything is so clean and there are shops and malls everywhere!! Did one of the standard hop on hop off bus tours which was really useful in the rain (it rained everyday I was here!). Took me round all the sights including the most ridiculous hotel I’ve ever seen called the Marina Bay…3 skyscrapers with a giant ship shaped building on top of them! The architecture in Singapore as a whole was amazing and I’m not normally interested in that sort of thing. You couldn’t help looking up from the bus in awe! On the 3rd day I was there I went to Singapore Zoo which is just north of the city. It’s an open plan Zoo so a lot of the animals roam free (including the orang-utans!) or are just separated by water rather than metal bars. They have some really rare animals there including white tigers which were beautiful and a little terrifying!

In my last day in Singapore I did a bit of shopping and then made it back to the subway station as the heavens opening and it chucked it down!! Getting back to the hostel and then back to the subway with my backpack was definitely interesting! When I got to the airport there were problems with my plane to Sydney so it was delayed by 3 hours! They decided to change planes to this new 2 floored plane which was half empty so I had 3 seats to myself which was very nice! Said goodbye to Asia with a Singapore Sling cocktail and some fried rice before falling asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment