Friday 27 April 2012

Byron Bay, Caloundra, Brisbane and Fraser Island!

Had a great time at Byron Bay and actually got one day of sunshine which was amazing!! Walked up to a lighthouse where you could see some beautiful views of the beaches and some groups of dolphins surfing the waves! Met some great people in the hostel and had some great nights out at the infamous Cheeky Monkeys where you dance on these giant metal tables! Next I took a bus to Brisbane just for one night before heading up to Caloundra, a smaller town on the sunshine where I stayed with my dad's cousin Jean and her husband Pete who have retired out here in a beautiful house right overlooking a river! It was absolute luxury to have my own room and ensuite bathroom with an amazing view and Jean and Pete did a great job taking me to look at lots of the local area. Went for a walk in the rainforest where I saw 3 Paddymelons (little kangaroos!) which were v cute! They are spoilt for choice with the beaches in the area and inland there are beautiful mountains too! After spending a few days with them I jumped back on the Greyhound bus to Rainbow beach to start my 3 day tour of Fraser Island!

I was very lucky to have a great group of people in my 4 x 4...6 girls and one boy (bless him!) and we had such a good time. The tour group get split into cars which you take turns driving across the beaches, sand dunes and through the rivers around the island. It was such a beautiful island and I would really recommend to anyone thinking about it to do the self drive tour rather than going in a big tour bus...the driving was part of the whole experience especially our dj skills...so much backstreet boys! While we were there we went to Indian's head with a great view over the sea (we didn't see any sharks though), a ship wreck that's half buried in the sand, the champagne pools where huge waves crash over the rocks to make the bubbles and Lake wabby which is a lake contained by the biggest sand dune I've ever seen!! We stayed for 2 nights in dorm style accomodation on the beach and had parties on the beach the 1st night and a bonfire the 2nd night...fuelled by plenty of goon!

Now I'm back in Rainbow beach waiting to get a bus up to Airlie beach to go to the Whitsundays, then up to Cairns for a trip out on the barrier reef and then New Zealand on thursday! Time is zipping by but really looking forward to everything coming up!!

Big Love

x x x x x x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment