Friday 16 March 2012

Bangkok!!

Never fear, I am alive! Arrived in Bangkok last night after over 24hrs of travelling and not a lot of sleep! After picking a taxi driver who was very sweet but evidently had no idea where my hostel was I eventually made it to the very bargainous HI Sukhumvit with its huge bathrooms, free breakfast and dorms with air con! Air con definitely needed as its about 5000 degrees outside!

Didn't sleep very well even though I was shattered so got up quite late and braved Bangkok city! To ease into the sticky weather I took the skytrain to Siam square and wandered and window shopped in the 3 amazing aircon'd malls that are decorated in the same lavish style I can only compare with a Vegas hotel! Next I braved the food court (as recommended by the lonely planet) which was about the size of a small supermarket and got a delicious lunch for less than £2...lovely!

I then decided I should really be a bit cultured and walked around the area before making my way to Jim Thompson's house. He was an American Architect who fell in love with Thailand after WW1 and built a traditional thai house with a beautiful garden and filled it with thai artefacts. He then got lost in the Cameron Highlands (they never found the body!) so the Thai Government decided to preserve his house for the tourists! It was very pretty and much more tranquil than the traffic logged streets round the corner.

I then went back to the hostel and booked some of my internal flights for the next few weeks. Had some delicious Pad Thai from a little street vendor...so far everything I've had the eat has been delicious, even the plane food!

The one thing I can't get over is how calm and collected the thai people are. They look so pristine even in this heat as they totter around in their heels, whereas I on the other hand have huge hair a red face and am seriously melting!! I'm hoping that in a few days I'll have got used to the heat and will look just as pristine...will let you know!

Hope all is well with everyone! Speak soon!

Love
Ro

x x x x x x

p.s. blogger has decided to put everything in thai even though I've asked google to translate it so if this comes out a bit all over the place that could be why!!

No comments:

Post a Comment